With a severe scarcity of parking areas in Hong Kong, and the sharp rise in oil costs in recent times, the price of automobile possession has develop into very excessive. In case you now not plan to maintain your automobile, and are desirous to money out and depart Hong Kong, or your automobile is now not roadworthy and can’t be repaired, you’ll be able to elect to have it scrapped. That manner, a minimum of you will get again the scrap value of your automobile.
Nonetheless, the Hong Kong automobile scrapping trade is moderately shrouded in thriller, and most drivers know little or no and even have some misunderstandings about it. For instance, some fear that their automobile can be utilized by criminals for illegal functions, and the automobile proprietor will find yourself a sufferer. In right now’s article, Kwiksure will current a helpful abstract of the procedures and precautions to take when having your automobile recycled/scrapped in Hong Kong.
5 steps for having your automobile scrapped
Step 1: Resolve whether or not to have your automobile scrapped
When deciding whether or not to have your automobile scrapped, you’ll be able to take into account the next components. Widespread causes for scrapping a automobile embrace:
- The restore price is simply too excessive or the time wanted is simply too lengthy (for instance, the restore price is 60% of the automobile’s value, or it takes a month to restore)
- The automobile mannequin has misplaced its attractiveness out there and is tough to resell
- You don’t want to deal with a resale
- You might be in a rush to money out
- You anticipate your automobile could have frequent breakdowns sooner or later and thus would require frequent repairs
Step 2: Contact a registered automobile scrapping firm
Contact the automobile scrapping corporations registered with the Environmental Safety Division. A few of them present on-line quotations. Automotive house owners solely must enter the data of their automobile to get quotations. A lot of the required data might be discovered in your Automobile Registration Doc, and normally embrace:
- Automobile’s mannequin and yr of manufacturing
- Transmission sort (guide or computerized)
- Engine displacement (expressed in cc)
- Automobile’s physique situation and the way nicely it drives
- The world the automobile is parked in
A recycling citation will normally be acquired inside 24 hours. If you’re glad with the worth, you’ll be able to agree with the automobile scrapping firm on an appropriate time and place for the automobile’s supply. In case your automobile can now not be pushed, you must be certain that all haulage and transportation prices can be paid by the automobile scrapping firm. In any other case, you’ll be accountable for arranging and paying to have your automobile towed to the location of the automobile scrapping firm.
Step 3: Clear your individual objects from the automobile
Keep in mind to take your individual objects from the automobile. Probably the most incessantly forgotten objects embrace “AutoToll”, the “oil playing cards”, and the “parking card” within the solar visor.
Step 4: Carry all of the paperwork for the supply
On the supply day, please deliver the next paperwork:
- The unique Automobile Registration Doc
- The unique and a duplicate of the automobile license
- The unique and a duplicate of the proprietor’s Hong Kong Identification Card (HKID Card)
- The automobile keys
The employees of the automobile recycling firm will examine the automobile on the spot to examine the efficiency and situation of the automobile. If all the pieces is regular, the automobile recycling firm pays the gathering value in money or by cheque, and supply a receipt and a Automobile Scrapping Certificates (generally known as the automobile scrapping paper) as proof of automobile scrapping, in order that the automobile proprietor can cancel the automobile registration on the Transport Division (TD). The scrapping certificates ought to specify the date and time of supply, and embrace the corporate stamp and enterprise registration variety of the automobile scrapping firm.
A heat reminder from Kwiksure: bear in mind to take the automobile license out of your automobile.
Step 5: Cancel the automobile registration on the Transport Division
Inside 15 days after your automobile is delivered to the automobile scrapping firm, you have to to submit or ship by mail the next paperwork to the TD to finish the cancellation of the automobile registration. In any other case, you’ll be held accountable for all authorized liabilities associated to the automobile.
- The unique Automobile Registration Doc
- The unique automobile license (if nonetheless legitimate)
- The unique Automobile Scrapping Certificates
- Your identification doc (if one other particular person performs this step in your behalf, that particular person should current their HKID Card)
- A accomplished Type TD184 (Discover of Cancellation of Automobile Registration)
- The unique Certificates of Allocation of Customized Registration Mark (if relevant)
Record of government-registered automobile scrapping corporations
The Environmental Safety Division’s record of registered automobile scrapping corporations might be discovered right here.
Dangers of car scrapping
In case you select an unscrupulous intermediary to have your automobile scrapped in your behalf, there’s a probability that the automobile might change palms many occasions in the course of the course of, inflicting your private data to be leaked. As a matter of truth, that intermediary might not even be a legally certified automobile scrapping firm. They could simply purchase the automobile from you, then hand it over to criminals who then use it to commit crimes. You can then be arrested by the police because the registered proprietor of a automobile utilized in a criminal offense.
Some unscrupulous middlemen would maintain themselves out as offering a automobile scrapping service, when in reality, what they’re after is the Automobile Registration Doc, inflicting the proprietor to undergo losses. Due to this fact, it’s essential to decide on a automobile scrapping firm that’s respected and registered with the federal government.
How can I preserve the automobile registration mark after scrapping my automobile?
In case you want to preserve the automobile registration mark to be used on one other automobile below your title sooner or later, chances are you’ll apply to retain the automobile registration mark on the similar time you cancel your automobile registration with the TD.
Candidates are required to finish the “Software to Switch or Retain a Automobile Registration Mark” (Type TD129) and “Discover of Cancellation of Automobile Registration” (Type TD184). The unique Automobile Registration Doc, the unique automobile license, the unique Automobile Scrapping Certificates, and the identification doc of the registered proprietor should be submitted along with the applying. The appliance to switch or retain a automobile registration mark should be processed on the Hong Kong Licensing Workplace or the Kowloon Licensing Workplace from Monday to Friday, and the charge is HKD $560. In contrast, the applying for automobile registration cancellation is freed from cost.
The retained automobile registration mark can be reserved for 12 months. If the applicant fails to switch the registration mark to a different automobile earlier than the deadline, the Commissioner for Transport will cancel the present allocation of the automobile registration mark, and reallocate it to every other automobile.
Often requested questions and precautions for automobile scrapping
Q: If there may be an “unused” portion of the automobile license charge after a automobile is scrapped, will the TD refund it?
A: Sure. The calculation technique for the refund of the remaining automobile license charge is the annual license charge of the automobile, occasions 0.24%, occasions the variety of days remaining within the validity interval of the automobile license, and topic to the next three circumstances:
- A refund can be accessible provided that a minimum of 60 days stay within the validity interval of the automobile license. The date on which the calculation relies is the date of “cancellation of car registration” by the TD.
- In case you plan to make use of the automobile scrapping in a “one-for-one”, the date of cancellation of car registration can be delayed by 1-3 months. In different phrases, in case your automobile license has a remaining validity interval of lower than three months on the time of scrapping, the TD usually won’t refund the “unused” license charge.
- In case you cancel a automobile registration, the license charge refund examine can be mailed by the Treasury to the registered tackle of the automobile proprietor. The payee would be the registered automobile proprietor (in case your tackle has modified, you must notify the TD), and the method will take about 4 to six weeks. No further utility is required for license charge refunds.